- Paperback: 427 pages
- Publisher: Apress (February 25, 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1590599594
Beginning Web Development, Silverlight, and ASP.NET AJAX: From Novice to Professional aims to give you the skills you need to start building web applications with Microsoft’s next–generation technology as quickly as possible. Whether you’re interested in ASP.NET AJAX, Silverlight, or the technologies that support them (WPF, WCF, WF, etc.), this book is the starting point that you need.
It adopts a “zero to hero” approach that concentrates on achieving practical results you can use in real projects rather than presenting a deep academic treatment that can’t be immediately applied.
The aim is to give you, the reader, the knowledge you need to achieve the results you want with the minimum of fuss. When you’ve read this book, you’ll have a solid understand of all the techniques that are available, when to use them, and their relative strengths and weaknesses.
What you’ll learn
- Create next–generation web applications quickly and easily!
- Manipulate data, display information, and communicate with other services using the latest ASP.NET techniques and best practices.
- Discover how the .NET 3.0 extensions (WPF, WCF, and WF) can make your web applications faster, more efficient, and easier to code than ever.
- Understand how ASP.NET AJAX and Silverlight can be integrated into your ASP.NET websites in order to provide a cutting–edge user interface for your applications and the implications that such interfaces can have.
Who is this book for?
This book is for anyone with an interest in using Microsoft’s latest web development technologies.
A basic familiarity with the .NET platform is useful, but anyone with an understanding of a web development language will benefit from the book, as all the key topics are presented from first principals.
About the Apress Beginning Series
The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry–level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from “novice to professional.” You’ll start your journey by seeing what you need to know—but without needless theory and filler. You’ll build your skill set by learning how to put together real–world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there—it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!
- Foundations of Popfly: Rapid Mashup Development
- Pro Web 2.0 Mashups: Remixing Data and Web Services
- Beginning Silverlight 2: From Novice to Professional
- Foundations of ASP.NET AJAX
- Foundations of Microsoft Expression Web: The Basics and Beyond
About the Author
Laurence Moroney is the Director of Technology Evangelism at Mainsoft, the cross-platform development company. He has over 10 years in software development and architecture, specializing in interoperability, security and performance in such diverse environments as Casinos, Jails, the Border Patrol, Airports, Professional Soccer and Financial Services. He has written several books on computing, including some on Web Services Security, ASP.NET and Java/.NET interoperability, as well as dozens of articles on various technology issues.
He lives in Sammamish, Washington with wife Rebecca and children Claudia and Christopher. His blog is at www.philotic.com, where you can find lots of Atlas and other development resources.