This book will offer in-depth explorations of new features so that both experienced programmers and novices will feel comfortable making the transition to .NET. Although a major portion of the book is devoted to Internet applications, the book covers more general topics than many other books.
Features of Visual Basic that will be explained include database access, controls, and best coding and practices. These features will be explored in detail, with extensive use of example programs and screen captures.
We feel that this book has something to offer for all skill levels. If you have never used Visual Basic before, the initial chapters provide the necessary step-by-step instructions to get you used to the Visual Studio programming environment. Users of previous versions of Visual Basic (experienced or not) will appreciate extensive, detailed coverage of the new features available in VB .NET and explanations of the changes from previous versions.
Readers who are new to computer programming in general should note that technical details are sprinkled with “words of wisdom” and real-world examples to help you understand new concepts.
Some readers may need a reference to find information about a particular topic quickly. Other readers might want to follow the book in tutorial style by reading each chapter start to finish. Readers of Special Edition Using Visual Basic .NET should be able do either. Each topic is explained in a narrative fashion, with lists, pictures, and sample code to allow the reader to quickly absorb the technical details. For those seeking instant gratification, many chapters include exercises that provide step-by-step instructions to try out a particular topic on your own. Special Edition Using Visual Basic .NET is divided into six parts and a section of appendices.
TABLE OF CONTENT:
Chapter 01 - Introduction to Visual Basic .NET
- Chapter 02 - Creating Your First Windows Application
- Chapter 03 - Creating Your First Web Application
- Chapter 04 - Understanding the Development Environment
- Chapter 05 - Visual Basic Building Blocks
- Chapter 06 - Storing Information in Variables
- Chapter 07 - Controlling the Flow of Your Program
- Chapter 08 - Managing Program Tasks with Procedures
- Chapter 09 - Creating Code Components
- Chapter 10 - Understanding Windows Forms
- Chapter 11 - Fundamental Controls
- Chapter 12 - Advanced Controls
- Chapter 13 - Using Dialog Boxes
- Chapter 14 - Designing an Effective User Interface
- Chapter 15 - Multiple Document Interface (MDI) Applications
- Chapter 16 - Creating Your Own Windows Controls
- Chapter 17 - Using Active Server Pages.NET
- Chapter 18 - Web Applications and Services
- Chapter 19 - Web ControlsChapter 20 - Database Basics
- Chapter 21 - ActiveX Data Objects (ADO)
- Chapter 22 - Using ADO.NET (ADO)
- Chapter 23 - Creating and Using Reports
- Chapter 24 - Working with Files
- Chapter 25 - Interacting with Other Applications
- Chapter 26 - Debugging and Performance Tuning
- Chapter 27 - Writing a Pocket PC Application