- Paperback: 330 pages
- Publisher: Apress (September 24, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1590598814
Discover how JRuby on Rails can be used to create web applications faster and more efficiently while still taking advantage of the vast power of the Java platform.
Ruby on Rails is proving itself to be one of the most efficient and powerful agile web development application frameworks available and has had a profound influence on the Java community. The JRuby project offers Java developers the best of two worlds: the flexibility of Ruby on Rails coupled with the enterprise-level power and maturity of the Java platform.
JRuby core developer Ola Bini covers everything you need to know to take full advantage of what JRuby has to offer, including
- Full coverage on how to use JRuby to create web applications faster and more efficiently, while continuing to take advantage of the vast power of the Java platform
- Several real-world projects that illustrate the crucial specifics you need to know about the interaction of Java and Ruby
- Helpful, practical instruction and discussion on how web applications can be deployed using a variety of popular servers such as Apache and Mongrel
What youll learn
- Create a Rails application that uses JDBC to talk to legacy databases.
- Use Java Management Extensions (JMX) to more effectively manage your application.
- Deploy a Rails application within a Java Enterprise web container (Tomcat).
- Create interoperable applications involving EJBs and Rails-driven web services.
- Securely integrate XML processing into your Ruby applications.
- Build cutting-edge Web 2.0 web sites using Rails, Prototype, and script.aculo.us to provide a pleasing user experience.
- Build four important projects: Store, CMS, Admin tool, and a web library project.
Who is this book for?
Youll get the most from this book if you have medium-to-advanced skills in Java web development, with a little Ruby experience, and are interested in taking Web development to the next level, both in terms of speed and features and in interoperability with existing infrastructure.
About the Apress Practical Series
The Practical series from Apress is your best choice for getting the job done, period. From professional to expert, this series lets you apply project-motivated templates (or frameworks) step by step in a very direct, practical, and efficient manner toward current real-world projects that may be sitting on your desk. So whatever your career goal, Apress can be your trusted guide to take you where you want to go on your IT career empowerment path.
Related Titles from Apress
- Beginning POJOs: Lightweight Java Web Development Using Plain Old Java Objects in Spring, Hibernate, and Tapestry
- Beginning Ruby on Rails: From Novice to Professional
- The Definitive Guide to Grails
About the Author
Ola Bini is a longtime developer from Sweden who started at an age of 9 years with Basic, on an Apple IIc; from there on he learned C, C++, Assembler, Lisp, Java, Ruby, and various other languages. He has no formal education except for a few Sun Java certifications. He has worked with system development at Karolinska Institutet since 2001 and runs his own consulting company (OLogix Consulting) in his spare time. He has contributed to various open source projects and is one of the three core developers of the JRuby project.